This page is the final source of information and authority for any and all submissions to The 3288 Review. Please read all guidelines carefully before submitting.
Upcoming Publication and Submission Schedule
Issue 5.2 (October 2019) submissions closed
Issue 6.1 (April 2020) submissions July 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019
Issue 6.2 (October 2020) submissions January 1, 2020 – June 30, 2020
Issue 7.1 (April 2021) submissions July 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020
What We Accept
We only accept submissions from current or former residents of West Michigan.
- Fiction – We will consider fiction of any genre, from 1,000 to 10,000 words. Because this is a literary journal we place as much importance on the quality of writing as the ability to tell a good story. We do accept genre fiction if the genre is applied with a very light touch.
- Non-fiction – Tell a good story about the world. Creative nonfiction, essays (lyrical and otherwise). Explore a topic. 1,000 to 10,000 words.
- Poetry – Any form, and up to 10 poems per submission. If you would like to submit more than ten, we invite you to consider bundling them and submitting to Caffeinated Press for publication as a book or chapbook. Also note that we have strict design guidelines which may affect how we break long poems across multiple pages.
- Photography and other visual art – These are collections of up to 10 images from a single artist or artist collective. The images should be thematically or stylistically related. They can be photos or digital reproductions of other types of art—2D, 3D, digital, and so forth. Please include titles and other relevant information for each piece, as well as an artist’s statement or similar for the overall collection. Images should be saved at 300 dpi and use the CMYK color palette. Our journal has an effective content area of 5.5″ x 9″ (1,600 x 2,700 pixels at 300 dpi) so please scale your work accordingly. When submitting, please bundle all the images into a single .zip file.
- Reviews – We are happy to review publications by West Michigan authors, poets, artists and photographers. We are also happy to review works by anyone previously published in The 3288 Review. If you have a book or other creative work you would like us to review, please send a review copy of the work to our mailing address.
- Due to US tax law for for-profit companies, we are only able to accept submissions from United States citizens, or writers who hold a United States work visa or similar. In other words, if you have Social Security number or a federal Taxpayer ID and can legally file a federal W9 tax form, we can accept your work.
- We accept original, unpublished work only. No reprints. Note that making your writing available for public viewing online counts as “previously published.”
- We are open for submissions all year. Those works we accept will be added to the next available issue of the journal.
- We do not accept multiple submissions. We only accept a single submission per creator per issue. If we receive more than one submission from a single person in an issue, we will only consider the first work submitted for publication.
- We only accept complete works. No synopses or partial pieces. No excerpts of larger works. Submissions must be self-contained and fit within our publishing guidelines.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, but we request that you state this when you submit, and notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Because of the tight schedule inherent in periodical publication we only accept work which is publication-ready. Work which requires more than the briefest of line edits will be rejected. As time and schedule allow we will include editorial notes with the rejection letter.
- We reserve the right to make edits for typos, clarity and grammar corrections. If you have any requests regarding formatting or layout please include them in the comments field. We reserve the right to edit all submitted work to make it conform with our style guidelines.
- Poets: all poems submitted must have titles. If you prefer we use the first line of a poem as its title we will do so, but you need to format your submission to include the first line as the title.
- If you write under a pseudonym please also include your legal name, and state clearly which is which. Note that we only allow pseudonyms that look like real names, and we follow standard conventions for capitalization and punctuation.
- Please allow 90 to 120 days for a response to your submission.
- Due to submission volume, we are not generally able to send personalized rejection letters.
- And finally, we recommend that you read a recent issue of The 3288 Review before submitting. Make sure we are the right venue for your work before you submit to us. For poets and artists this will also show the design restrictions within which we operate. Issues are available through the Caffeinated Press online store and from Amazon.com.
Payment for Work
The 3288 Review offers payment upon publication, as follows:
- Poetry – $5.00 per poem published, up to 10 poems
- Prose 1,000 to 5,000 words – $25.00
- Prose 5,001 to 10,000 words – $50.00
- Collections of Photography, Illustration or Artwork – $5.00 per piece published, up to 10 pieces
In addition, contributors will receive one free copy of the issue in which they are published.
Please note that, in order to pay you, as part of the contracting process we will require a completed Federal W-9 which includes your SSN.
Assignment of Rights
When we accept your submission for publication, these are the rights we request:
- Six-month exclusive English-language publishing rights to to your work for print, e-book and audio, starting on publication of the volume in which your work appears.
- Additional non exclusive publishing rights which expire at the start of the next volume after the volume in which you are published. This is mostly to cover excerpts published online as part of marketing and promotion efforts.
- Non-exclusive rights to reprint your work in an anthology.
How to Submit
All submissions are handled through the Caffeinated Press Query page.
When you submit, you’ll receive an acknowledgement email with a link that takes you into the submission system. You are free to reply to that email or add comments/documents to the ticket as necessary. If you wish to withdraw your submissions or ask questions, please do so using this ticket information.
After a submission has been reviewed by our editors we will contact you to let you know if you have been accepted. If you have been accepted we will send you a contract and a blank Federal W-9 form, both of which must be completed, signed and returned before we can publish your work.
If we do not accept your work we will respond within 90-120 days. Time permitting, we will forward any notes from the editors. You are welcome to re-submit your work once it has been revised.
It is solely the author’s responsibility to ensure that content has been submitted to us according to our guidelines.
If you use a spam blocker service or software, please set it to allow emails from the @caffeinated-press.com domains. If we can’t contact you, we can’t accept your work.